OFFICIAL RULES, RELEASE, AND LICENSING
Orvis Cover Dog Photo Promotion
No Purchase Necessary. Purchase Will Not Improve Chances of Winning.
1. How To Enter: The Promotion begins at 12:00:01 a.m. ET on April 1, 2023 and ends
at 11:59:59 a.m. ET on October 1, 2023 (“Promotion Period”). To enter, visit
orvis.com/coverdog (“Website”), go to the Cover Dog entry link, and follow the online
instructions to submit a digital photo of your dog and complete the entry process. Orvis’
(Sponsor’s) computer will be the official time clock for the Promotion.
- 2.1.1. Open and offered only to legal residents the United Kingdom and
legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who
have reached the age of majority in the state of their residence as of start
date of Promotion. Entrant must have the legal right and ability to give
broad permission for Orvis to use the photo of their dog and/or must
have secured, prior to entry, the written permission of any person and/or
dog owner other than entrant.
- 2.1.2. In addition, the winners selected by the judges will be required to
sign an affidavit of eligibility and to sign and return, within 14 days of
notification, a Liability Release and Publicity Release (where legal).
Winners will also agree not to use the winning photo for any other
promotion or commercial purpose.
- 2.1.3. Employees and directors of Orvis, Inc. (“Sponsor”), and its parent,
subsidiaries and affiliated companies, advertising, promotion or
production agencies, and their immediate family members or individuals
residing in their same household, are not eligible to win the contest.
3. Winner Selection and Criteria: At least one and up to 12 winning photographs, the
final number in Sponsor’s sole discretion, will be selected from among all eligible entries
by a panel of judges selected by Orvis and based on the criteria below. The decisions of
the judges are final and binding in all matters relating to judging this Promotion. Orvis
will notify winners by email approximately 45 days after the end of the promotion
period shown in Section 1 above. The chances of winning depend on the number of
entries received and on the opinions of the judges panel regarding the suitability of
photos for The Orvis Dog Book cover and their meeting the following criteria:
- 3.1. Photo must be original, unpublished, and not copyrighted.
- 3.2. Photo must show at least one dog.
- 3.3. Photo should depict the dog(s) in a manner consistent with the Orvis
brand and lifestyle.
- 3.4. Photo must fit the size criteria listed at the point of entry.
4. Prizes & Retail Value: Winning Photo(s) will be used on a future cover(s) of the Orvis
Dog Book catalog as determined by sponsor. In addition, winner(s) will receive one (1)
$500.00 or £500 Orvis Gift Card, depending on whether the winner is a resident of the
United States or the United Kingdom, use of which is subject to the terms on the card.
ARV = $500.00 or £500.00. No substitution, cash redemption or transfer of prize by
winners is permitted.
- 4.1. United States winners ONLY will also receive $900 worth of Purina Pro
Plan dry dog food, provided in the form of 12 coupon handouts, each with a
dollar value of $75. No substitution, cash redemption or transfer of prize by
winners is permitted.
5. General Rules:
- 5.1. Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for lost, late, damaged,
delayed, incomplete, corrupted, or misdirected entries, whether caused by
electronic, network, software or computer failures and malfunctions of any kind
or by human error. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for undeliverable e-mails
resulting from any form of active or passive e-mail filtering by a user’s Internet
service provider and/or e-mail client, insufficient space in user’s e-mail account
to receive e-mail, or for any other technical reason.
- 5.2. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel or terminate the
Promotion (or any portion thereof) if fraud, misconduct, or technical failures,
including computer virus, bug, or other technical problems, destroy or threaten
to destroy the integrity of the Promotion. Sponsor may elect, if feasible and in its
sole discretion, to choose winners from among all eligible entries received prior
to the time of such a forced termination.
- 5.3. In the event a dispute arises regarding specific winner entitled to receive
prize, entry will be deemed made by the “authorized e-mail account holder,”
which shall mean the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an
Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g.,
business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail
addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
- 5.4. Any damage made to the Website will also be the responsibility of the
authorized e-mail account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of
entry. Any attempt by an individual to damage any website or undermine the
legitimate operation of this Promotion may be a violation of criminal and civil
laws. Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from and to prosecute any
such individual to the full extent of the law.
- 5.5. By participating in this Promotion, entrant agrees to be bound by these
Official Rules and by the decisions of the judges, which are final. Entrants must
very broad permission for Orvis and its agents to post any entered photo on
websites and to use it anywhere in any context, including advertising, without
made part of these rules.
- 5.6. Upon a finding on non-compliance with these Official Rules and
requirements, or if prize/prize notification is returned as non-deliverable, or if a
winner is found to be ineligible, such prize will be forfeited and may be awarded
to an alternate winner selected by Sponsor’s judges.
- 5.7. The Promotion is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and
regulations. It is void where prohibited by law. Winner is responsible for any tax
due on the winning amount.
6. Entrants who participate in this Promotion hereby waive and release, and agree to hold
harmless the Sponsors, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, licensors,
advertising and promotion agencies and all of their respective officers, directors,
employees and representatives and agents, from and against, any and all rights, claims
and causes of action of any kind whatsoever that may arise from their participation in
this promotion and/or their acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any good obtained
with the prize gift card.
7. Winners List: To see the names of the winner(s), visit orvis.com/coverdog
approximately 120 days after the end of the promotion period shown in Section 1
8. Sponsor: The Orvis Company, 178 Conservation Way, Sunderland, VT, 05250
RELEASE AND LICENSE
In consideration of entering my photo in the Orvis Dog Book Photo Contest, I hereby grant to
Orvis, its employees, agents, licensees, and personnel who are acting on its behalf (“Orvis”), the
absolute and irrevocable right and permission throughout the world and in perpetuity, with
respect to the attached digital photograph of my dog, me and/or others (if applicable), as well
as my image, likeness, name, testimonials, statements, if any, or other related items (the
1. To use, re-use, publish, re-publish, post on a website, transmit, modify, and edit the
Authorized Material, in whole or in part, severally or in conjunction with other
materials, in any medium now or hereafter known, for commercial, promotional, and
educational purposes and for any other purpose whatsoever, including without
limitation, publicity, marketing, advertising, fundraising and/or trade, and
1.1. To claim and register copyrights in any materials created by Orvis based
on, derived from, or incorporating all or part of any of the Authorized Material in
Orvis’s own name or any other name that it may choose.
2. For all but the winning photos, I may use my entered photo for personal use, but I will
not use it for commercial purposes and will not enter it in any other contest until the
contest results are announced. If my photo is chosen as a winning photo, and in
consideration of the prize, I will use that photo for personal use only and will provide
written releases that cover all persons and animals in the photo.
3. As a condition for entering my picture in the promotion, I certify that I have the written
consent of all other identifiable persons, children, and animals in the photo (other than
myself or my own children and animals) to be bound by the terms of this Release and
License. I understand that Orvis will rely on this certification in posting or otherwise
using entries prior to selecting a winner and will require me to produce the written
releases as a condition of publishing the winning picture on its 2023 Dog Book and
presenting the cash prize.
4. I hereby release and discharge Orvis from all claims and demands whatsoever arising
out of or in connection with the use of the Authorized Material or any reproduction
thereof and waive any further claim for compensation in connection with the use of the
Authorized Material. I acknowledge that the Authorized Material may be altered or
modified and waive any right to inspect or approve the finished product.
5. This Release and License shall inure to the benefit of Orvis’s successors and assigns and
shall be binding upon my heirs, successors, assigns and legal representatives